This post breaks down this (possibly) intimidating process into easy steps so you can design super-cute wedding printables for yourself.
I have found all kinds of stylized fonts for making my own printables. They are free for personal use and are so much fun.
Here's how to do it.
After designing your printables, don't forget the important tip at the bottom of this page!
1. I use this site: www.1001freefonts.com. They have thousands of fonts that are arranged by style. Browse around until you find one you like!
2. Click "Download".
Scroll down until you find your operating system, and follow the directions for your operating system
Windows 10 and Windows 8
- Open the font file- it should be found in your "Downloads" folder, titled the same name as the font.zip (Example: stardust_adventure.zip).
- Open the folder. You may need to unzip the folder containing the fonts first. Fonts cannot be installed if they are zipped.
- The folder will open and contains two files. The "LICENCE REQUEST" and the font file (example: "Stardust Adventure" with a little "A" on the icon.
- Right click on the font file and select "Install".
- The font will be added to your font list, so when you use Microsoft Word, Paint, etc, you can choose it, and type away!
- If you don't see your new font, try restarting your computer.
- First, close any open applications. Newly installed fonts may not appear in your font menu if you ignore this step.
Install using Font Book:
- Double click the unzipped font file and Font Book will open a preview of the font.
- Click “Install Font” at the bottom of the preview.
- Open Finder and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.
- While in the Go menu, hold down both the Alt/Option and Shift keys on your keyboard to reveal the hidden link to the Library folder
- Navigate to your Fonts folder:
- Drag and drop the unzipped font files into this folder.
IMPORTANT TIP!! If you design a file with your new font, and are saving it to print elsewhere, or emailing it to another computer, you MUST save the file as a PDF. Your new font is only available on the computer it was downloaded on, and won't show up on another computer, unless the font is also downloaded on that computer as well. Save your file as a PDF, and it can be emailed or saved to a USB and will not change.
How to save a PDF:
- Click File
- Click Export (near the bottom of the menu)
- Select Create XPS/PDF Document, which will open another box on the right side of your screen that also says Create XPS/PDF Document. Select it as well. (It's an icon that looks like it's wearing a seatbelt.)
- A new box named Publish as PDF or XPS will open. Choose where you want to save your new file and name your file.
Click Publish to create and save your PDF.
- Click File
- Click Print
- Click on PDF in the bottom-left of the Print menu and choose Save as PDF.
- Choose where you want to save your new file, and name your file.
- Click Save.